What types of animals are not allowed in city limits?

Except as provided by city ordinance [ link to Section 8.16.014], it is unlawful for any person, partnership, association or corporation to keep or harbor any horses, mules, cattle, sheep, goats, swine or fowl of any kind, within the city of Huron, except that public auction rings, livestock commission houses, veterinary clinic and treatment facilities, locker plants and hatcheries may temporarily keep and hold any such animals or fowl for the purpose of sale, slaughter or treatment; and in addition the state of South Dakota fairgrounds shall be exempt from these provisions.

Do I have to keep my pet on a leash?

Yes, pets must be kept on a leash. Animals are not permitted to run at large within the city. Any animal found at large may be impounded. “At large” means to be off the premises of the owner and not under the control of the owner or a competent person by leash. A dog or cat within an automobile of its owner shall be deemed upon its owner’s property.

Do I have to license my pets?

City ordinance requires pets to be licensed. Pet licenses may be obtained at the Beadle County Humane Society, 5063 Dakota Avenue S. Phone: (605) 352-8955. Pet licenses require current vaccination information.


Pet licenses are issued by the Beadle County Humane Society, 5063 Dakota Avenue S. Phone: (605) 352- 8955. All dogs and cats over the age of six months shall be licensed and registered annually before January 1st each year. Each license shall then be effective for a twelve-month period from January 1st through December 31st.

Before any dog or cat is licensed or registered, the owner is required to furnish the certificate of current vaccination issued by a licensed veterinarian certifying that the dog or cat for which the license is being issued is vaccinated for rabies. Registration records will show the owner’s name and street address, the dog’s or cat’s name, breed and color, and the year for which the registration is paid.

A metallic tag will then be issued, and it is the owner’s responsibility to place the tag on a collar around the neck of such dog or cat.

How do I dispose of my yard waste?

A green yard waste container is available for purchase from the city. There are no additional charges for yard waste collection which runs from May through October. These containers are owned by the purchaser, and may be taken with them when they move. Yard waste must be placed in the containers loose and un-bagged so that the lid can be closed completely. Containers must be placed out for collection in the same manner that the garbage containers are. Contact the city Utility Billing Office, 239 Wisconsin Ave SW, (605) 353-8504 for further details.

Who do I contact for garbage service?

The city provides each residence with a 60 or 90 gallon brown container for once per week garbage collection.  If this can is lost, stolen, or destroyed, a replacement container must be purchased by the resident or home owner. Your utility bill stub may be used each month for one free load to the city’s rubble site for disposal of rubble, tree branches, or metal without freon compressors.  Contact the city Utility Billing Office, 239 Wisconsin Ave SW, (605) 353-8504 for further details.

Huron, SD Taxes

South Dakota does not have a personal or Corporate income tax nor does it have an inventory tax. Real property for businesses and non-businesses are taxed at the same rate with the appropriate levy being based on valuation.  The City of Huron has a 2% sales tax plus an additional 1% on hotel/motel, restaurant, and liquor establishments. The states sales tax is 4%.

How do I turn on utilities at my residence?

Water/Sewer/Garbage service is administered by the city. A minimum deposit of $100.00 and photo ID is required for all new residential customers. Applicants must be age 18 or older. Contact the Utility Billing Office, 239 Wisconsin Ave SW, (605) 353-8504 for further details.

Electricity & Natural Gas service is administered by NorthWestern Energy (605) 352-8411, or Dakota Energy Cooperative (605) 352-8591

Telephone/Cable/Internet service may be provided by any of the following:

  • Midcontinent Communciations 1-800-888-1300
  • Century Link 1-800-244-1111
  • Santel Communications 1-888-978-7777
  • Direct.TV  1-877-644-1928