Energy bills can be a surprise to your budget. Now that the weather is cooling down, you will have to turn on the heat. And that means the bills are going to go up again. But this year you can do a few small things to keep that bill from getting as big as it did last year!
- Cover your hard floors with carpet or rugs. This acts as insulation to your floor and keeps your feet warm at lower temperatures.
- Have your thermostat set to 68-70 during the day and a couple degrees colder during the night.
- Install glass doors on your fireplace and shut your flue. This keeps your warm air inside.
- Don’t rely on space heaters. They are good for heating small areas quickly but running one all day can be more expensive than the furnace.
- Clear your air vents of furniture, curtains or anything that might be covering them.
- Maintain a clean filter in your furnace. Replacing it often will make it more efficient.
- Lower your thermostat every time you leave the house.
- Open shades when the sun is out.
- And of course. Don’t leave your door open!